Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Now THAT'S an excuse I can understand...

As someone who has been working on a book for a long time, I thought this quote from a Publishers Weekly interview said it all:

An interview with George Dawes Green, whose new novel, Ravens, will be published by Grand Central on July 15.

PW: It’s been 14 years since your last novel; what took you so long?!

GDG: I got distracted. I went diving in the Galapagos Islands and spotted a frail momentary seahorse; I read Annie Dillard’s
The Maytrees; Larry Gwynn bluffed me off a full house with a jack-high (in Wanda’s house, under live oaks, in the presence of witnesses); I founded the Moth; I wrote the scripts for a few movies; a bruja gave me the evil eye in Santiago Atitlan and I was nearly murdered a few hours later; Skye Sullivan and I, on the coldest night of the year, squeezed into Romulus’s coat together, and shuffled home through the dark streets of Manhattan.

You tell them, George.

No comments: